Our name and structure have changed to better reflect our core principles
The South West Scotland Community Rail Partnership is a voluntary, not-for-profit organisation which aims to engage people in their local railway across Ayrshire and Dumfries & Galloway - from Stranraer in the far south-west, to Ayr and Kilmarnock in the north and south to Dumfries and east to Gretna Green on the Anglo-Scottish Border.
Our name and structure changed on May 31st, 2017, to better reflect our core principles and the expansion of the area we now cover. Under our previous name, we were Scotland’s first Community Rail Partnership and delivered a range of projects, not least our innovative and popular credit card-sized mini timetables for each station on the Stranraer to Ayr line.
Listing train arrivals and departures from each station greatly simplifies the timetable and this will shortly be extended to an online version on this website, coupled with QR codes at each station. These will allow passengers to simply swipe their smartphone on the QR code platform signs to access the timetable via their phones. We plan to extend this facility in partnership with Scotrail to cover all the rail stations in our area over the coming months.
We also work with communities situated around the railway on a series of projects including:
- Working with transport operators
- Supporting and encouraging community projects
- Facilitating projects that give the community a sense of ownership and pride in their local railway station
- Encouraging rural tourism, thus helping to support local economies
- Working with schools and local authorities to educate children about rail travel and rail safety
- Working with community groups to help remove barriers to travel and encouraging car-free and sustainable travel
- Holding a variety of events such as anniversaries connected to the railways in our area
- Producing guides for the rail lines in our area and the local attractions which can be visited from them.
More specifically, The South West Scotland Community Rail Partnership works towards delivering our six core outcomes:
- Encouraging the use of rail travel in our area
- Community involvement
- Economic development
- Working with young people
We offer anyone the opportunity to become a ‘Friend of the Line’ for just £5 a year, or to become a Member of this Community Rail Partnership and get involved in a wide range of exciting, innovative and worthwhile projects we are delivering or plan to deliver in the near future.
Email today for more information.
Become a member for just £10 a year
Become a member of the South West Scotland Community Rail Partnership for just £10 a year. You will be kept informed about projects and campaigns we are running, opportunities to volunteer in a wide range of projects and you will be able to help shape the organisation by voting at the Annual General Meeting where you can also put yourself forward for election to a Board position on the Board of Directors. For further information, please send an email.
... or become a 'friend of the line'
If you would like to support your local line, you can become a Friend of the Line for just £5 a year.
© South West Scotland Community Rail Partnership, Girvan Railway Station, Vicarton Street, Girvan, KA26 9JF
Company No: SC460916 | Scottish Charity No: SC039478