About the Ayr to Kilmarnock Line
Railways in this area owe their existence to coal and other minerals. The earliest development of tracked systems emerged in the vicinity of Ayr in 1775.
In 1812, the horse-operated Kilmarnock and Troon Railway opened. The line was constructed to carry coal from Kilmarnock to the harbour at Troon and was the first railway in Scotland to be authorised by an Act of Parliament.
The Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway (GPK&AR) opened in 1839 to provide train services between Glasgow, Kilmarnock and Ayr.
The section between Glasgow and Paisley was made jointly with the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway. Later the company built a line from Dalry via Kilmarnock to Cumnock, linking there with the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway and together forming a through route from Glasgow to Carlisle.
The two companies later merged to form the Glasgow and South Western Railway on October 28th, 1850.
If you would like any further information about this line, please email the Partnership.
© South West Scotland Community Rail Partnership, Girvan Railway Station, Vicarton Street, Girvan, KA26 9JF
Company No: SC460916 | Scottish Charity No: SC039478